(23/08 Enrolment Forms Available from Careers now for 2022)
Trades academies are secondary-tertiary programmes that provide senior secondary students access to a broad range of trades or technology learning opportunities to ensure they stay engaged in education.
The programme is delivered through partnerships developed between schools, tertiary education organisations.
The programme is full time (25-30 hours per week) for students already enrolled at school and:
- consists of learning in secondary and tertiary settings
- may include work experience where this forms part of the tertiary or secondary programme.
- motivate more students to stay engaged in learning and training by providing them with a greater number of options for study
- provide clear post-school pathways by giving students a head start on training for vocational qualifications and smooth access to employment
- improve the responsiveness of schools to business and economic needs.
The programme must lead to a worthwhile qualification at a minimum of NCEA Level 2 for enrolled trades academy students
Students must also be working toward a nationally transferable trades-related tertiary qualification at Level 1, 2 or 3 as part of the programme. It’s expected that students will have the opportunity to achieve an award in at least 1 of the 6 Vocational Pathways for NCEA Level 2.
Each trades academy is responsible for selecting and enrolling students.
Students must be enrolled in a secondary school and must participate full time in the programme to be eligible to enrol. Trades Academy programmes are usually 1-2 days per week for the school year.
As programmes offered differ, entry requirements, application and interview processes (including selection criteria) will vary between each respective trades academy.
Newlands College Careers Department will notify students through Careerwise, school email and the notices when Trades Academy programmes are open for applying.
For more information on programmes available
Follow the links to get more information on the type of programmes available in Wellington and if interested come and see us in Careers. The application process usually takes place in Term 3.